Are These Controversial YouTubers Really The Most 的nfluential"?
20 June 2017, 16:05
Whether you love them or hate them, we can all agree that Jeffree Star and Manny MUA are controversial. From Jeffree's constantly outbursts of hate and tea-spilling to the apparently racist comments made by Manny. However, for all their negative attention, it hasn't stopped the pair finding success with their channels and businesses, so much so that Forbes have named Jeffree and Manny two of the most influential creators in the entire world.
As part of a series of lists about the most influential creators on the web, Jeffree and Manny made the top 10 in the beauty category at number six and eight respectively.
No doubt, the news will receive mixed reactions from those who believe Jeffree in partcicular is not criticised and called out enough for past racist comments. Others have also perceived Jeffree as behaving "aggressively" on social media and his recent drama with Jackie Aina certainly adds fuel to that fire.
Despite their huge empires and reach on social media, Jeffree and Manny failed to bag the top spot - which went to Zoe Sugg.
Beating off others including Michelle Phan and Wayne Goss, Forbes placed Zoe at number one and listed her business, beauty and mental health achievements as just some the reasons she got the number one spot.
Here's a full list of the most influential beauty creators:
- Zoe Sugg; her success knows no bounds.
- Michelle Phan; cosmetics line, beauty YouTuber OG and author - there's very little Michelle hasn't achieved.
- Huda Kattan; the Dubai-based creator now owns a huge beauty line and produced one of the most in-demand eyeshadow palettes the beauty world has ever seen.
- NikkieTutorials; the Queen of highlighter was always going to make this list!
- Shaaanxo; having started her channel in 2009, Shannon has gone on to collab with some of the biggest brands in the world.
- Jeffree Star; love him or hate him, Jeffree has made a huge name for himself since starting on Myspace back in the day.
- Kandee Johnson; sandwiched between Jeffree and Manny is Kandee. The professional makeup artist recorded her first video on her grandparents' video camera and has never looked back.
- MannyMUA; can you believe Manny was considering medical school before turning to YouTuber? We think he made the right decision!
- Christen Dominique; quite possibly the coolest mum that ever walked the planet.
- Wayne Goss; his informative and detailed tutorials are loved by millions of fans across the globe and his line of makeup brushes is a must-have for anyone serious about their art.
What do you make of the list? Should controversy be forgotten? Or can we forgive and appreciate talent and influence when it's right there in front of us? Let us know in the comments below.
Did you hear about the series of We The Unicorns books? Click play on the video to find out release dates and how to buy them.