The internet is a fantastic hub for creativity, style and setting trends that wouldn’t normally get a second look. So forget glitter roots and rainbow hair, and you might as well throw all that unicorn merchandise in the bin, because now you can actually GIVE yourself unicorn horns!
The trend #UnicornHair is blowing up all over social media with over 81k Instagram posts already, but one YouTuber already uploaded a truly fantastic tutorial… all the way back in 2012. Her name is Venus Angelic and she’s a major league beauty ‘Tuber, covering pretty much anything to do with Japanese fashion, food and style. If you’re keen on replicating the iconic Unicorn Horn, skip the video below to the 9 minute mark.
After the big hair trends of 2015 seemed fascinated by the concept of glitter roots and rainbow coloured hair, it seems that the 2016 Pokemon evolution of this style was to literally fashion a unicorn horn into your hair. Naturally. And, as PewDiePie says in this best selling novel, This Book Loves You, “Always be yourself, unless you can be a unicorn, then always be a unicorn”.
You can achieve unicorn horns at home pretty easily by doing the following Venus Angelic steps and being a freaking wizard (because tbh, we tried it and it just didn’t fly);
- Take the front section of your hair and make it into a ponytail
- Don’t pull it all the way through. Stop halfway to make the hair loop
- Wrap the rest of the hair around your pony loop into a cone-like shape
- Pin in place and pull/style the wrap into an extended tip
- Hairspray the hell out of it so it literally won’t move again
- For greater effect, use colourful dyes and glitter to really make your unicorn horns POP