If you thought award season ended when Leo finally nabbed that Oscar for The Revenant, then you stand immediately corrected. Announced last night, the 20th Annual Webby Awards just selected all of their winners and, as expected, #TeamInternet wins big again with YouTubers such as Tyler Oakley being named the Web Personality of the Year.
If you’ve never heard of the Webby’s before, then it’s time we had a little history lesson because for every single person making a living on the Internet, you WANT to win these awards. Over the past 20 years, the Webby’s have been the “leading international award honouring excellence on the Internet” – in fact, The New York Times called them “the Internet’s highest honour”. In 2016 alone, the Webby Awards “received nearly 13,000 entries from all 50 states and more than 70 countries worldwide” making it one of the most fan participated ceremonies in the awards running; but who took home the grand prize? Let’s find out.
Here are all the Webby Award winners YOU need to know about because lets be honest, you’re not here to read who won the award for Best Display & Banner Advertising Campaign:
- Best Web Personality = Tyler Oakley
- People’s Voice Web Personality = Good Mythical Morning
- Best Social Content and Marketing = Jimmy Fallon
- Best Writing in Social = Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
- Film & Video Breakout of the Year = Making A Murderer
- Best Music Video Channel = YouTube Music Awards
- Best Gaming Channel = SMOSH Games
- People’s Voice Gaming Channel = Elder’s React
- Best How-To & DIY Channel = Mashable Explains
- People’s Voice How-To & DIY Channel = How To Cake It
- Best Science & Education Channel = VSauce Networks
- Best Variety Channel = SoulPancake
- People’s Voice Variety Channel = Carpool Karaoke, The Late Late Show With James Corden
- Best Social Website = Tumblr
The winners were selected by an Academy of judges and experts from Reddit and Instagram in addition to more than 2 million votes from fans in 235 countries, but the award ceremony itself isn’t until May the 16th in New York City. You can catch the official live stream on the 17th of May on their website which will feature ceremony highlights, special performances plus all the delicious winning speeches. Will you be checking it out? Let us know in the comments below.