YouTube is being called out for Logan Paul's controversial new film
19 October 2018, 17:01
Viewers have been complaining that Logan Paul has been allowed to have content on YouTube Red, despite his controversies.
Logan Paul is definitely one of the most controversial YouTubers around. Earlier this year, he got into a lot of trouble for visiting Japan and being insensitive to their culture, and filming a dead body in the 'suicide forest'. Because of this, YouTube demonetised his content, and delayed the release of his YouTube Red film, The Thinning: New World Order, a sequel to 2016's The Thinning.
Now, his channel has ads again and The Thinning: New World Order has been released, much to the dismay of many viewers. People aren't happy that YouTube has given Logan Paul a platform, and allowed him back to YouTube Red. Especially because PewDiePie's YouTube Red show, 'Scare PewDiePie' is still cancelled, even though Logan's controversies were more recent. The general consensus is that if they cancelled PewDiePie's show, they should cancel Logan's too.
PewDiePie: *makes Nazi joke*— 🎃Megalottervania🎃 (@bangers_ntrash) October 17, 2018
YouTube: Disgraceful, Season 2 of scare PewDiePie now canceled
Logan Paul: *tazes dead raf*
*records real dead body and laughs*
YouTube: Y'all hear sumn?
Anyways Logan you ready for the Thinning 2
so are we just cool with youtube reviving logan paul’s content and not pewdiepie’s?— Eddy Booback 👻 (@eddyburback) October 17, 2018
the man showed a dead body to millions of children. he shouldn’t even have a channel let alone a second youtube red movie
Because of this, some people are refusing to watch the film.
Y’all know what the sad thing is? The Thinning is an interesting enough concept that I would have paid to watch it.— 🧡🖤 Evangeline 🖤🧡 (@muddy_orbs) October 19, 2018
But they put Logan Paul as the lead so I’m not touching it with a 50-foot pole. 🙃
And others have used the opportunity to make jokes about Logan.
One person has come forward in defence of YouTube, saying is wasn't their decision to cancel PewDiePie's show (which, if this is true, means that they would have happily allowed a YouTuber with a well documented history of racial slurs to have a premium show but okay). This user says 'Scare PewDiePie' was cancelled because the rights were owned by external companies who decided to terminate their contract with PewDiePie, not that YouTube cancelled the show.
read they explained better than I could long story short: the reason scare pewdiepie was cancelled because Disney terminated their contract with pewdiepie its not youtube fault and the thinning is produced by different company so youtube is just the one who distributed it pic.twitter.com/jAipXXrhF0— kar (@karrw44) October 19, 2018
Others have said the movie was made before the suicide forest video, and YouTube didn't want to lose all the money they'd already spent on the film.
Youtube had already made Logan Paul’s movie before the whole Japan incident, so of course they’ll have to release to get their money that they spent on the thinning 2 back— Thinh Le (@shubidolangh) October 18, 2018
What do you think of YouTube releasing The Thinning: New World Order? Should they? Or should Logan still be penalised for him offensive behaviour?