TanaCon Forced To Shut Down As "15,000 Unticketed Guests" Show Up

23 June 2018, 14:20 | Updated: 23 June 2018, 19:18

TanaCon. Picture: Various

By Josh Lee

UPDATE (19:10pm BST): TanaCon has been abandoned all together, after the Good Times, the company organising the event, said they couldn't secure a new venue.

In a statement shared to Twitter, Good Times said, "We are so grateful for each and every one of you who showed support for TanaCon and Tana's dream of inclusivity. Due to an overwhelming and unexpected response of over fifteen thousand unregistered guests arriving to the venue Friday morning, unfortunately, inclusivity to everyone became a safety hazard for the exact people we want to accommodate."

They continued: "Our team has worked around the clock to find a solution to accommodate everyone safely and fairly, but at this point in time there is no way to continue our weekend at TanaCon as is without risking the safety of all our Featured Creators, which is our number one priority. At this time, we are working on a way to make this up to every single on of you."

Good Times have advised guests seeking refunds to email, and said there would be "another announcement" at 1:30pm local time.

Tana has not spoken since the news broke.


The first day of TanaCon was forced to come to a sudden end today after "15,000 unticketed guests" arrived at the Anaheim Marriott Suites hotel, where the event was being held. TanaCon was initially expected to be attended by 5,000 people.

TanaCon was set up by YouTuber Tana Mongeau after she accused VidCon of mistreating her in previous years. But with the convention being organised in just a few months, unexpected issues such as excessive crowding emerged, resulting in the hotel going over capacity.

Eventually the event was forced to close for the day. Fans, many of whom had paid $65 for VIP tickets, were recorded chanting "refund, refund" in response to the chaos.

Tana tweeted that she had secured a new, larger venue for day two, and pledged to either put on an extra date or "personally" refund anyone who was still unsatisfied.

Beyond the capacity issues, guests were forced to wait outside for a number of hours in the heat while attempting to get in, with some reporting that no water was offered to help combat the 84 degree (28 celsius) heat.

In a tweet sent in the early hours of Saturday morning (local time), Tana said she was still working to "make sure everything can be safe for tomorrow."

"Everything will be made right no matter what," she added.